Monday, February 11, 2008

Valentine's CYOA, Chapter 11

From now until Valentine's Day, the Manuscript Mavens are running a Choose Your Own Adventure® story, in which YOU vote on what happens next! Every morning brings a new author, from the Mavens to the just-sold, to the best-selling. And every night brings a new twist!

Get your Choose Your Own Adventure® votes in by 7:00pm EST (4:00pm PST) and you'll be eligible for random prize drawings, where you can win books by our Guest Mavens! Vote every day, and you'll even be eligible for the Grand Prize. (More info: here.)

For yesterday's installment, click here. To read the previous chapters in order, click here.

Chapter Eleven

I stared at him, shocked yet relieved. "So here's a new plan," I said. "You distract him, and I'll get the money."

"That could work," he said, touching my hair. "But I have a feeling you could distract him better."

"Fine," I said. "I'm getting tired of the present company." And I left him sitting there on the couch while I donned a black jacket and some quiet shoes.

He moved like a panther toward the window. "Hold it, Cara. Looks like Mrs. Peterson is leaving with the cops."

I glided silently toward him and looked for myself. "She's taking her poodle with her. I bet she gave the police no choice. She's a feisty old girl, who'd likely kill for that dog."

"That's the way all animal owners should be."

So Steely Muscles is an animal lover. I felt my heart begin to melt, and warned myself to toughen up. When the police cars left, and the street was once again silent, I moved toward the door. I held my breath, waiting for Brant to stop me.

"You'd better hurry, before he gets out of his car and heads to her house to search for the money."

I had a strong urge to kick him between his two big toes. Instead, my resolve hardened and I slipped from my house, and keeping to the shadows, emerged right beside the sleek car.

"Hello, Mel. I was expecting you to pop up any minute."

Damn, he knows Imelda, but I don't have a clue in hell what his name is. "Well, well, Mr. Lexus. Seems we're both hot on the trail."

Through the open car window, he grabbed my hand. "You're always hot, Mel baby." He gave me a look that scorched my skin. I could almost smell the lust. He terrified me, but I'd be damned if I'd let him know it.

"Looks like a draw to me. Why don't we strike a deal, and share the spoils?"

"I might consider your suggestion," he said, running his tongue around his lips, "if you'll throw in a bonus."

"Like hell! We split the Euros fifty-fifty," I said, stalling for time.

His smile was lewd. "You know that's not the bonus I mean."

Mr. Lexus man wasn't talking money, he was talking sex, and we both knew it. I wanted to run, but his grip on my hand was like a vice, and I stood rooted to the spot. I licked my lips nervously, and the swine took it for a sign that I would accommodate him.

"Good girl. Get in the backseat."

"You've got to be kidding!"

He opened the driver's door and got out of the car, but he never let go of me. He was short and thickset, the kind of guy who possessed brute strength and wouldn't hesitate to use it on a woman. He opened the back door of the Lexus, but before he shoved me inside, he brought up his other hand, slid it inside my coat, and squeezed my breast hard. "We won't hurt each other, will we, Mel baby?"

I believe in tit for tat. I brought my knee up swiftly between his legs. He let go of my hand and doubled over. I looked straight into the angry eyes of Jayson Brant. He brought the butt of his gun down on Texas Lexus's skull, and shoved the randy bull into the back seat.

"Get the box from Peterson's house. I'll make a quick run to the dump and be right back."

My legs trembled as I made my way down the street to Mrs. Petersons. I was relieved and, yes, I hated to admit it, but I was grateful to Mr. FBI man.

I opened the door with the key, and went inside. I didn't need to turn on a light, because the moon had risen and its glow came in through the front window. I saw the red, heart-shaped box immediately, and my spirits sank lower than a snake's hips when I saw it was empty. "Crap! The cops got the money!" I refused to believe it. "Maybe not. Something tells me Mrs. P is one crafty old gal."

My eyes slowly traveled around the room and came to rest on her big old knitting bag. Pure instinct drew me across the room. I went down on my knees, and pulled out some wool and needles. "Crafty indeed!"

The bag of Euros was pretty heavy, but I was so thrilled with my amazing discovery, I managed to haul the loot back to my house, and sank down on the couch to catch my breath.

The door opened. I thanked God and the Devil that it was Brant. "Did you get it?"

"She hid the money in her knitting bag." I held it up gleefully.

"You are one helluva smart, brave woman, Cara mia."

I suddenly began to shiver with delayed reaction. "I'm cold."

"That's because the window was shot out. You need some coffee."

We went into the kitchen and I made some coffee. When it was ready, Brant took a small silver flask from his leather jacket and poured whisky into the steaming mugs.

I took a few sips and groaned. "Hot damn, this is better than sex."

"If that's true, you've had very inadequate lovers, Cara Heart."

As we finished our coffee I glanced at the clock on the stove. "It's eleven o'clock. It's still Valentine's Day."

He took my empty mug and set it aside. "That gives us only one hour to celebrate this special day for lovers." His voice was husky, his hand warm and possessive as he took mine and led me to the bedroom.

I felt breathless and intoxicated, but I knew it wasn't from the whisky. He covered my mouth with his and kissed me. Thoroughly. His lips were demanding, and I gave myself up to the pure splendor of the man.

He slid off my coat, and what was underneath it. His firm fingers made short work of my lacy bra. He took off his own coat, and the turtleneck, then his powerfully muscled arms enfolded me, and we slipped down to the bed.

"Jayson..."

"That would be me." His kisses moved to my throat, along my collarbone, and down to my breast. He licked my nipple, then drew it into his mouth like a chocolate covered cherry. "Sweet.....Luscious."

A. His hands caressed my belly, then stroked my thighs, until I began to writhe. He was dark, dominant, and dangerous, and I wanted Jayson Brant more than any man I'd ever known.

B. I shot up from the bed. "What was that? It sounded like broken glass. There's someone in the living room."

C. A police siren began to wail. We sat up and listened, as it came closer and closer. A heavy bagging on the door, was followed by a loud voice. "Police! Open up. This is the police!

D. My eyes flew open as a bright light was shone in my face and blinded me. I groaned inwardly. I'd fallen asleep in Jayson Brant's arms and this was the price I had to pay.

YOUR TURN: You decide what happens next! Leave your vote in the comments by 7pm EST (4pm Pacific) every day between now and Valentine's Day---Tomorrow's story continued by Julia Harper with the twist YOU choose!

Today's installment brought to you by Virginia Henley. Vote to win your choice of Virginia's books!

Don't forget to join the Manuscript Mavens' quarterly newsletter on the right for advance notice of other exciting upcoming events!

28 comments:

Unknown said...

Bowing deeply to Ms. Henley! I think we need more of A!

B.E. Sanderson said...

It's B for me.

Erica Ridley said...

Thanks for blogging with us, Virginia! My favorite part:

"I'm cold."

"That's because the window was shot out."


LOL!!!

Back later when I decide on which plot twist I want...

tetewa said...

I'm also going to go with A!

Anonymous said...

Great job, Virginia!!! Can't decide on which option to pick.

Carrie Ryan said...

Awesome job -- very steamy!!

Here I am gone for two days and no one takes the zombie choice. Tsk, tsk and sigh...

Isabel said...

Loved it, Virginia!

I gotta go with B.

My vote is for "B".

Unknown said...

A :o)

Jackie Barbosa said...

I do believe I'll go with A.

Nice chapter, Virginia!

Jody W. and Meankitty said...

I like C best today! C for coitus interruptus.

Jody W.

Vicki said...

Great post Virgina! I'm going with B.

I loved them all though. :)

feywriter said...

I say after all they've been through, let them "relax" for a moment. A. ;-)

Bill Clark said...

I believe in tit for tat.

Anybody know how to get coffee spray off a monitor?

This choice is a toughie. Let's start by eliminating D, which glosses right over the fun bits. B and C are both coitus interruptus; if one were to go that route I'd prefer C and go along with Jody, assuming the cops were actually banging on the door and not bagging it for evidence.

But y'know, this is supposed to be a Valentine's Day romance, and we're at the eleventh hour, and the clock is ticking, and the H/H are in bed together and clearly consenting...so I'm gonna go with A.

A!!

PatriciaW said...

B. Plenty of time later. More high-jinks, please.

Angie Fox said...

Oh now I'm torn. I still like "A," but "D" has me very intrigued.

Hmmm...since everyone seems to like "A" this time, I'll be a rebel and say "D." But any which way it ends up, keep 'em coming. This is a lot of fun. :)

Hellie Sinclair said...

A. I always like the interruption to happen right in the mix of things. They're not nearly humiliated and frustrated yet. *LOL*

Anonymous said...

I like A :)

lacey kaye said...

B. Thanks, Virginia!

lacey kaye said...

B. Thanks, Virginia!

Anonymous said...

In the spirit of Valentine's Day, I'm going with A

Anne-Marie Carroll said...

Ooh, you've got to just love those interupted moments just as it starts to get hot. lol I say B. Great job Virginia.

Anonymous said...

I'm torn between A and C, but I think I'm gonna go A, because honestly, they've earned it.

Karen Lingefelt said...

Wonderful, Virginia!

Gimme an A!

Erica Ridley said...

I like B. I think it's the poodle!

Darcy Burke said...

I have to go all fangirl on Virginia Henley. The Dragon and the Jewel is one of my favorite books ever. Great chapter, thanks Virginia!!

I'm going with A.

Lenora Bell said...

I'm going to agree with mshellion and say A because they should get interrupted when it gets much steamier and way more frustrating.

Oh, and dark, dominant, and dangerous sounds decadently delicious.

Kammie said...

Woohoo, Virginia! I'm going with A.

Jill James said...

Wow, I have to say A. Virginia Henley writes HOT! I want more.

Manuscript Mavens










Manuscript Mavens